Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Mom


I am Mom.  It really does not matter how far away I am in the world, there are few things that will get in the way of me still fulfilling that role.  I am the officer in my group, and my NCOs are typically the ones looking out for personnel and making sure they are taken care of the Mom in me still watches to see how they are responding to different situations.  Are they perky and happy as usual?  Are they moody?  Do they feel okay? I can be here to listen and offer support, and I can require that they participate in “mandatory fun” as I know that helps to get anyone out of their funk for a little bit.

While fulfilling the other half of my Mom role, I also still get those Mom questions a half a world away.  Some questions are easy to answer like “Do we have extra sheets, because everyone is sick in this house?” or “What can I give our son when he starts to feel better so that he continues to be on the mend?”  Some are harder like “When are you coming home Mommy?”  Since I know everyone is currently sick at home, there is nothing that I would like to do than to come home and be right there.  I would love the opportunity to snuggle with my little guys and read a book or try to keep them quiet while they continue to mend.  To be the one that makes that little bit of toast as the first attempt to see if their little tummies can tolerate that. For now, I have to be comfortable with calling and talking to them that way to see if at least hearing my voice can help to make them feel better.  And of course… I can solve that sheet problem by ordering a couple new sets so that in case this happens again, there is a reserve with Toy Story and Elmo sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment