Thursday, February 2, 2012

"The Ma'am"


I knew deploying would mean a loss of individuality.  It would require me to take on new roles, new positions, and sometimes a new definition of myself.  I never thought it would take away my name. Since joining my detachment, I have to laugh at my new name.  I am no longer called by my rank, my title of doctor or even “Doc,” rather, I have been dubbed, “The Ma’am.”  Conversations go something like this: “I picked up the Ma’am this morning and headed to the DFAC.”  I’m even still present in the truck during the conversation.  Questions will be asked, “Did you ask the Ma’am?”  “Are you here to see the Ma’am?”  I have never heard someone refer to their male Officer in Charge as “The Sir”. Discussing this with another female officer assigned to the aid station, I learn that her medics call her “The Ma’am” as well.  So, running down to speak with her for a second the other day I was greeted at the door with, “Are you here to see the Ma’am?”  “Yes, please tell her it’s the other Ma’am.”  I wonder what my new title will be when the restoration center’s officer in charge comes back from rest and relaxation in a couple weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment