Monday, January 30, 2012

An unusual beauty

The sunrises over the top of the Himalayan mountains have been beautiful.  Over the top of the walls, you can see the sunlight cresting over the mountains.  They are visible for a few short hours until the dust of vehicles covers them again.  The beauty is surprising in this environment, reminding you that in the midst of a war torn and impoverished country, beauty is there for those that look.  The days have been warm and inviting, and spirits have been good.

The winds picked up late last night and made one feel as if they were sleeping, "under a flag pole" as my tech puts it. It sounded more like my bed was attached to the flag as the tent moved in the wind throughout the night.  I was surprised this morning to open the door and be greeted by fast winds and really wet snow.  They have been calling for snow, but nothing has happened until today.  The only one happy about the snow was the dog, who couldn't sit still all day for hopes of running outside and playing in the snow.  I do admit it was perfect packing snow... a few snowballs proved that quite well.  My techs do not understand their new doc yet, as I missed my target, but he turned around and fired one back at our NCOIC.  He was very surprised that I had thrown the first one.  While the snow gave us some playful moments, it made the day drag in the clinic.  It took out much of our systems until the snow past.  My conversation home was dropped.  Nobody wants to venture out in the snow to come see us, nor does anyone want to venture out in the mud to see us tomorrow. 

Now... the only reminder is the snow capped mountains when the sun sets over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment