Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Central Issue Versus a Packing Pro

I believe I have mastered the art to pack four people's clothing for a week long trip in just one large checked bag that way there is enough space left for diapers, toys and other items necessary for such a long trip.  When you travel by airplane, there is a limited amount of items that can be taken without paying additional fees, so one must learn how to pack.  Today the Central Issuing Facility (CIF) challenged these skills.

We drew all of our equipment today, and those of us not lucky enough to have memos from out command stating that we did not need such items as intrenching tools, were forced to draw every item.  I walked out of the warehouse with three full duffel bags and a ruck sack.  I had been so proud coming down here that I had only a half duffel bag full of necessary items (physical training clothing, gym shoes, under garments, etc.) and of course there was enough room left for my pillow.  If you ask my husband, I am very picky about my pillow and that is an item of luxury for me to take.  I make it back to my barracks room to see four full duffel bags and a ruck sack large enough to pack the family for a week long trip.  How in the world am I going to reduce this by at least one bag and then still carry these bags with me from my drop off point to my quarters in country?  One idea comes to mind: UPS.  I can ship unnecessary items either A) to myself in theatre or B) to home and them do an exchange just before I come home so my personal items go home and these unnecessary items come back to me to turn into CIF.  That would leave me with just my carry on luggage, which can sustain me two or three days if necessary. I am surprising myself with my skills to consolidate, and it looks like I may be able to reduce the amount by a full bag with appropriate packing.  I am also hoping that one bag can be placed in a wall locker never to be opened for items that are necessary, but I hope to never have to use (such as a parka that will go to -30 degrees.) 

I got a chuckle while learning how to put together the pieces of our body armor, which features an improved quick escape by pulling a single chord. We had a 30 minute block of instruction on how to put on, take off, quickly disassemble and then reassemble our equipment.  By the time I had made it back to the table to try, I found my tablemate had already begun and his equipment was spread across my own.  Being a much lower ranking officer, I decided to step back and watch as he was assembling as to not get our equipment mixed.  I politely answered questions, and then decided that I really wanted to have a warm dinner tonight, so I started assisting him as well.  Just when I thought he had it, and he was seeming much more confident, I turned to begin with mine.  I had a few more items to secure and I watched my tablemate proudly pick up his equipment and place it over his head, to have it fall apart in pieces on the floor again.  Thank goodness for skills sets such as not showing surprise or horror and not laughing at those same looks as they came across his face.  Of course, the next thought is, "Why was I so selfish to stop when I did, because then he wouldn't have to start over?" A few moments later, he was looking over mine to see if I had succeeded in remembering the step he had forgotten.  I think neither one of us will forget that experience with different lessons learned: attention to details and patience even when I would much prefer to satisfy my own personal needs.

Update: This packing guru had everything consolidated into only two duffel bags and a ruck sack... until I remembered that the plates for my body armor had to be packed a special way to keep them safe.  So... while I could probably still do only two duffel bags... I have three as to be within the weight limit and everything in one piece (hopefully) when I arrive in country.

No comments:

Post a Comment