Saturday, January 28, 2012

One week down

It's early Sunday morning here, and the sounds of people Skyping to their family surround me.  Today was the first time I got to Skype with my little guys.  The time difference, internet issues, and multiple other factors can make that a challenge.  I loaned out my equipment when I was done to the gentleman sitting next to me, because I understand just how important that little contact can be.

It's been a whirlwind of a week.  The team has stepped up to the plate and embraced a few new differences.  We're becoming more creative with the prevention techniques that are used, and had more than 300 contacts this week.  Our therapy dog, Apollo, helps to break through that barrier and create lasting smiles on people's faces.  He even flew to a close FOB to visit the vet.  He was decked out in a harness, saddle bags, eye protection and hearing protection.  That was a sight to see, and was probably responsible for multiple laughs and pictures from soldiers and contractors on this site.  He gave us our own personal show a few days later when we squeezed past on of my sergeants to jump into the driver's seat of the truck.  He was happy as a clam ready to go with us to the gym.  With four of us opening the doors to the truck to get him out, he was staying just out of reach jumping over the seats until someone finally got his treats out and shook them.  I don't know if he'll fall for that one again, but we all were laughing so hard that we were doubled over.  It was just what we needed to end the day.

Days seem almost too short to get everything I need to do accomplished, but there is the realization that tomorrow will always have more work to do.  I work 6 days a week with Sundays off.  That's a luxury here, but we need a recovery day after caring for others throughout the week.  I am still on-call, but I do not mind having to do such things.  Our hours vary depending on our mission.  If someone needs to talk at 8pm, we are technically off, but we still head out to see the person.  We're available 24/7.

I live on the opposite side of our site from the office.  It's not that far of a trek, but my techs pick me up every morning.  I typically walk back from the gym at night.  The conditions meet my expectations of a deployed environment with tent living, a 1.5 block walk to the showers and a mess hall tent that can seat 150.  The food reminds me of Taco Bell: we have six ingredients, how dishes can we make?  Friday nights are surf and turf... and we actually got lobster tails this time.  All in all... it's not a bad deal.

Since it's Sunday, I'm looking forward to going to the contemporary service here.  It's been a while and I am looking forward to a little time without having to worry about others.  It's either a great ending to the week, or a great start... whatever way you wish to view that.  I may just see it as both!

No comments:

Post a Comment